Request a Home Testing Kit
About Online Home Testing
Home testing is now available for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIV and syphilis. Often people are unaware they have an STI, so it is important if you change your sexual partner that you have a check for infections. Testing for STIs online is straightforward and confidential and you don’t have to come to a clinic.
Who can and should test online?
- Aged 16 years or over
- People with NO symptoms
- People with a Gloucestershire postcode
- Anyone who has had a new sexual partner since their last sexual health screen
When to test
If you have an STI it can take some time for your body to show signs for our tests to find it, so please consider the information below before taking a test. If it is done too early it will not be accurate. It is better to wait to take the test if you don’t have symptoms.
- It can take 2 weeks after sex, for chlamydia and gonorrhoea to show up on a test
- A HIV test is likely to be accurate at approximately 6 1/2 weeks after exposure and 100% accurate at 8 weeks
- Syphilis can take up to 12 weeks to show after sex.
When not to test
- If you have had syphilis in the past you should not use the online blood test, as we need to do extra tests in the clinic to confirm that you do not have a new syphilis infection.
- If you have HIV and would like just a syphilis test, do not use the online test, as it will automatically test for HIV. Please come into our clinic for a test.
- If you choose to have a test for HIV and syphilis you will need to be able to collect a small blood sample from yourself. Please only send in completed blood tests as under-filled blood samples cannot be processed and may delay you receiving your other results.
Home testing is only available for people who live in Gloucestershire. If you don’t have a Gloucestershire postcode but would like an STI health screening you can still call us to make an appointment to attend one of our clinics.
How to test
You will be asked some questions so that we know what kit to send you. It is important that the test gets to us quickly after you have done it. Ideally take the test on a Monday and send it in on the same day. If you can’t do it on a Monday, please send it in as soon as you have done it.
If you have symptoms:
Please be aware that not all infections that cause symptoms are covered by the kits. If you have any symptoms it is really important that you see a health professional as some conditions can cause long term problems if left untreated.